Wednesday, March 20, 2013

DAY 20: Consider the Lilies!


“So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?” - Matthew 6:28-30 

Today’s command from Jesus is directly tied to the last two: “DON’T WORRY!” and “Look at the Birds!” 

Again, this “Do-Votional” may seem a little silly to you... it even does to me. But perhaps the reason that we as Americans are so consumed with anxiety and fear because we have been unwilling to do silly things like “Look at the birds” or “Consider the lilies”?? Financial anxiety in people’s lives is at an all time high and here is the solution that Jesus Gave to His children... “Look at the Birds” and “Consider the Lilies”. They aren’t just cute statements, they are supporting evidence for His first command on this theme... DON’T WORRY ABOUT YOUR LIFE! 

I don’t know about you, but I am ready to do whatever He says... even if it seems silly. 

So today, we’re going to take 15 minutes to consider the lilies of the field. If you have beautiful flowers growing in a field near you, then by all means, get in the car and go and see them in person! But if you must, look them up online. I did a little Youtube search and found several videos of lilies in fields... something like this

As you are considering them, think of what Jesus told us to think of: how they grow, how they don’t toil or spin yet God CLOTHED THEM. They didn’t work for one second to be so beautiful and yet not even Solomon in all his riches had better garments! So consider this fact, “if God clothes the grass of the field, will He not MUCH MORE clothe you??” 

The truth is, He will! 

Silly? Maybe. But I’m doing it. Are you?

2 comments:

  1. this is not silly when I was twenty and did not know any bible I read this because I started reading in Matthew wanting to know about Jesus. I was so naive I believed all the words I read. These two passages came true for me over and over and over again. They still do. Love this!!
    going to go and enjoy Lilles to day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! There's nothing silly about this. It's such a powerful imagery to "consider the lilies of the field." and take this message to heart. There's so much peace and assurance of God in it. I love how the past few days built on each other to make sure that it sinks in. I already a decision that I am going to come back even when this is all done to do it over again and again until it becomes a lifestyle. Some of these are easier than others and that's the point of coming back to repeat so it becomes a way of life.

    Thank you so much for the Do-Votional...I love the peace, joy and righteousness that comes from.

    ReplyDelete