Saturday, March 9, 2013

DAY 9: Turn the Other Cheek!


“You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.” - Matthew 5:38-40 

A couple of years ago I did some graphic work for a gentleman who was recommended by a mutual friend. We had a couple meetings, discussed his needs, proposed a solution to his problems and attached a price tag to it. We shook hands in person, I sent him a proposal and he heartily agreed. I had no reason to distrust him for any reason. So, I did the work, presented the logo I had been working on and he LOVED it! 

So far, so good, right?? 

Well, not really. I sent him an invoice in July 2011 and I haven’t got a penny from him yet!! He dodged my phone calls and emails and just flat out dropped me like a bad habit! I seriously considered suing him since he owed me $2000. Then, after I had dropped it for a few weeks in December 2011, I found his unpaid invoice in my email box and started muttering to myself, angry at what he had done!! 

Then I read this scripture.

This guy was a thief! No one would argue that... But Jesus was calling me to a higher way. I had been in a prison of anger and bitterness towards him for MONTHS and I was valuing that $2000 I was owed more than I valued my peace! So I wrote him an email saying, 

“I think you should pay me, but I release you from doing it and forgive you for taking advantage of my good will. I want to be free from an expectation that you will make this right.” 

I instantly felt the peace of God that had been missing for months return as I turned the other cheek and allowed myself to be wronged. (*There is a time to defend your financial position, but for me this wasn’t it.)

Today, you will turn the other cheek. You will not resist evil (or even mean) people. You will allow yourself to be wronged without fighting back. If someone cuts in front of you in traffic, let someone else in. If a co-worker steals credit that is due you, praise them to their boss about something else. 

Live above the fray. Trust God to repay you and go to bed in peace. 

You can do it! Tell us how it went in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment